Pages

21 March 2020

 Earlier this morning I sent what is printed below to all the students in classes I'm currently teaching who have, in significant ways, experienced a sudden and in some ways unpleasant, life change that they could not have seen coming. I don't want them to think that the only reason I contact them is for "school work." I thought I would share it more broadly for two reasons: [a] some Point students will see it and hopefully be encouraged; and [b] many who read it will take a moment and pray for some really good young adults at  Point who are struggling right now!


I wanted to take a moment this morning and message you about something that has nothing to do with classwork! The last thing I want you to think of me is that the only time I contact you is when I am making another assignment!

In my personal Bible reading this morning, I read Psalm 119. (I think some of you are following along with me the 31 days of Psalms and Proverbs!) It, along with Proverbs 25 seemed to speak in powerful ways to the moment we now face.  Here are a few lines from Psalm 119:

Teach me the ways of your decrees, Yahweh,
so that I may preserve it to the utmost.
Help me understand, so that I may observe your instruction,
and keep it with all my mind.
Direct me on the trail of your orders,
because I delight in it.
Bend my mind to your affirmations
and not to profit.
Help my eyes pass from seeing emptiness;
bring me to life by your way.
Implement for your servant what you've said,
that which was for people in awe of you.
Make my reviling, which I dread, pass
because your rulings are good.
There, I long for the things you've determined;
in your faithfulness bring me to life.
Psalm 119:33-40, The First Testament
 
I was especially moved by the verse in bold print above. I hope you will take some time today to think about that.

Early this morning - around 8:00 a.m. - I decided to go do a couple of errands. I filled up my car with gas. I bought gas for the lawn mower and the leaf blower. Then I decided to go to Publix and - assuming it wasn't too crowded - to run in and get a few things. It wasn't "too crowded." I went in. They were out of most of what I went in for: chicken, toilet paper, napkins, hand sanitizer, granulated sugar, Simply Limeade, napkins, sanitizing wipes to use on door knobs, counters, etc.

When I went to check out, the very nice cashier asked, "Did you find everything you needed?" i laughed and said, "Not exactly." She laughed back and said, "I know and I'm sorry." After checking out, I went to Kroger - found some of what i was looking for, but not everything. I did the self-checkout at Kroger so there was no interaction with a cashier - except that the young man overseeing the self-checkout area said, "Sorry if we didn't have everything you needed."

On the way home, I couldn't help but think about the Publix cashier. Or the Publix and Kroger employees doing their best to stock the shelves. Or the truck drivers trying to deliver necessary items to grocery stores. And the warehouse employees who show up for work to load the trucks with whatever they are trying to get to the stores. Or the migrant workers who likely picked the vegetables and fruits. The food supply companies who can the vegetables, bake the bread, make the products - like hand sanitizers which I still didn't find, the cashiers who check me out, the stock people who try and get stuff on the shelves, the butcher I heard saying "I'm sorry, we just don't have it right now" and countless other people who are going to work everyday so people like me can get what we need.

We may be in for a bit of a tough time that even people my age don't remember ever happening. For some of you - life has been turned upside down in ways you have never experienced. A messed up graduation. Moving from "safe housing" to housing you aren't sure of because of lots of reasons. A sports season ended abruptly. A recital that likely won't happen. Missing people who have become your best friends. Concern for others - family who may be at high risk, front line medical people, people in prison, people in elder-care facilities . . . the list seems endless.

Let me encourage you to take Psalm 119 seriously - especially this phrase:
Help my eyes pass from seeing emptiness;
bring me to life by your way.
 
If you don't have a good option for worship tomorrow, let me encourage you to go the Facebook page of Spring Road Christian Church at 10:45. Last week Ron Lewis and I began doing a virtual service together - with lots of help from SRCC staff and others - because we can't meet like we normally do. I meet with a group called Grace Faith Community and of course Ron is the pastor at SRCC. We're talking about Psalm 23 tomorrow at 10:45 a.m.  would love to have you join us!

I'm praying for each of you. wh


No comments: