Pages

26 February 2017

My Good Friend and Mentor, Jim Evans



I first met Professor Jim Evans my freshman year in college. That was in the fall of 1969 and he was the faculty sponsor for our class. Jim and Ellen welcomed our class into their home on multiple occasions over the next four years and to simply say they were a blessing to our class would fail to describe the godly, Christ-like way Jim and Ellen treated the Class of 1973 at Atlanta Christian College.

I really got to know Professor Evans in my junior and senior years when I took two years of Greek under his oversight. He was a demanding professor in whose classroom you knew to come prepared. My Greek II term paper on Colossians 1:15-20 (which he saved a copy and gave to me 40 years later) was no doubt the best thing I did as an undergraduate student. He taught me more about interpreting Scripture than any single person I could name. Students in my classrooms who think Huxford knows something about how to interpret Scripture should really think “Jim Evan taught him well.”

When I went to graduate school and took an advanced Greek grammar class my first semester, I quickly realized what a blessing all the hard work Jim Evans demanded of his students really was. No one in my class – from a variety a different Christian colleges – came close to knowing what I knew about Greek grammar. It was because of Jim that I became the graduate assistant to Dr. Lewis Foster for the next two and one-half years in graduate school. 

When I eventually came back to Atlanta Christian College as an instructor, no one made me feel more welcomed than Jim Evans. When he left ACC to become the preacher at Westside Christian Church, I became the Greek teacher at ACC. Following in Jim’s huge footsteps would become a pattern for me. I was never the Greek teacher Jim was, but if learning principal parts of verbs was important for Jim, it became important for me and students had to learn the same kind of material in my class that I learned in his!

Like Jim, I eventually left “full-time status” at ACC and became a preacher! By now Jim was executive director for the European Evangelistic Society and he and Ellen occasionally visited First Christian Church. No one made me more nervous by simply being in the audience than Jim Evans, and no one made me feel better about myself as a preacher than Jim Evans as he spoke to me after the service. 

Jim would finally decide that he needed to retire from the daily grind of working for EES and I emailed him and asked him if he thought I might be a good fit. He immediately responded that I would be a good fit and no doubt I was hired to do that job – again following in Jim’s footsteps – because of his influence. As was always true in every context, no one was more encouraging to me than Jim and Ellen. I hope they are in charge of the gates of heaven when I get there!

While working for EES, Vick and I were members at Southwest Christian Church, where Jim Donovan – the neighbor of the Evans, and like me, a student blessed by Jim’s teaching – was the preacher. One Sunday I was asked to preach for Jim Donovan. I will never forget what Jim Evans said going out the door that Sunday morning: “That was a real expository sermon.” Having been the preacher for the same church for 20 years and having preached many, many sermons, I can’t remember a compliment that meant more to me than that. My Greek teacher thought I preached a biblical sermon!

One day Jim asked me to stop by his house and of course I did. Lunch with Jim and Ellen was always a treat. (Best chicken salad ever!) After lunch, Jim took me to his office and gave me a stack of books. He said that he wanted me to have these books and reminded me of what a gift that was by saying, “Books are like your children, you don’t just let anybody have them!” I will die with those books on my shelf.

Late this afternoon I learned that Jim left this world for the one for which he lived his entire life. Ellen, Celeste, Lisa, and Eric and their families have suffered a great loss. So have countless former students whose lives were shaped in kingdom ways by the teaching of Jim Evans. It is not trite to say that our loss is heaven’s gain.

One of the classrooms in the new academic center at Point University is named the “Jim and Ellen Evans Classroom.” I was privileged to help raise the money to name that room in their honor. During that process I received countless letters – with contributions – from former students who said something like “Jim was the one who taught me to study Scripture well.” As I said the day the room was dedicated in their honor – I hope, from the bottom of my heart, that Jim and Ellen know the impact they have had on so many students who were privileged to sit in Jim’s classroom and visit in their home.

May God raise up more people like Jim and Ellen Evans. We need them.

7 comments:

teacherdan said...

Well said, Wye.

Unknown said...

Wye, thank you so much for these wonderful stories. I have my own to parallel almost every one you tell! I remember my sophomore year when Tom Howard and I flew up to Roanoke to preach a weekend revival at Roy Miller's church -- Ellen's home church, on a weekend when they decided to go home for a few days!! I was talking with Roy in the back hallway when I heard this all too familiar laugh down the hallway .... (I took Greek I a year early so he was already my professor.) When he came up to me I told him I was so glad he was there, then asked him if he wanted to preach! His response, which I can still hear clearly in my mind, was, "Not on your life! [patented Jim Evans laugh]" Afterwards he complemented me highly, and I lived on the energy of that for the rest of the school year.

Unknown said...

What a wonderful tribute, Wye and James. Papa called all of you students "my boys." I can tell you what kind if teacher he was - when I was at Milligan I took Greek I in summer school, carrying my ring of verbs and nouns to work each day and doing book work in the evenings. Being my father and my teacher, do you know what grade I wound up with? A "C"!
If I had earned an "A" it would have been recorded. He cut me as much slack as he did 'his boys.' The following fall I had Greek II under Lee Magnus at MC, and was able to survive.
My fondest memories along this line was 25 years later, after a work-a-day career & seminary, and now serving at that same church, James. I was doing an exegetical study on Sunday nights through the book of Romans. I would exegete a chapter Monday through Wednesday. On Thursday I would call Papa and check my study against his memory. After a couple of weeks of this, Papa started studying along with me looking forward to our Thursday talks, and this long after he gave up nearly all teaching. I would offer him my scholarship and ask him if I was thinking straight on the passage at hand. He usually had one of two answers. I would hear either, "That sounds pretty good, son," or "That's interesting, but have you considered ..." When I got the second answer I knew to listen closely, take notes, and heed his scholarship. He was always gentle, and I believe he really loved studying Romans with me for those 9 months.
We are very appreciative of everyone's love for Jim and Ellen. We know many, many people love them as much as we do. Thank you for walking with us. Our sincere thanks is not enough to repay the outpouring if love we have felt over the past 24 hours.
May God continue to richly bless you as you continue to serve Him.

Unknown said...

Deepest blessings to you, your mother, your sisters and all the family, Eric. Thank you for your post and your memories. I'm sure you could spend a few days telling them, and I for one would be happy to sit and listen to every one and ask for more. Your father has been at my side for over 40 years, whispering challenges and encouragement with every breath. And there he will remain for the rest of my life, his legacy living on in this grateful student and in hundreds more across this country and around the world. And I'm sure he's still standing at the gates of heaven, shaking hands with and collecting hugs from the many, many people who have lined up to welcome him. And, of course, he's taking advantage of every opportunity for a teaching moment!

Unknown said...

I am saddened by the news of the passing of my mentor, friend and professor, Jim Evans. Jim was my Greek professor. He inspired me in ways that cannot be counted. It was because of Jim that I went on to graduate school and then pursued my Ph. D. in the same field in which he mastered: New Testament Languages and Literature.

I grew up in a brotherhood/denomination that had virtually moved away from expository preaching and where preachers and pastors basically used the text merely as a place from which to jump off and topically deal with issues facing the world today with little or no concern for the text. Jim showed and taught the necessity of handling the text by properly exegeting it, using five basic rules of interpretation, the same rules I use today when preparing expository messages, applying hermaneutics to Biblical passages.

In fact, I used these same rules which have allowed me to take a very controversial verse in the New Testament and give it an interpretation never before considered by major commentaries at the time. I refer to my dissertation in which I took a singular word (μέλλοντος) and by analogy of Scripture, word study and grammatical analysis came to the conclusion that it was neuter, not masculine and means "The coming state of affairs (the coming thing)" instead of "the coming one" (referring to Christ), and the repercussions of this understanding to Romans 5:12-19, especially when every English translation ever printed translates μέλλοντος as masculine. I defended this paper to the satisfaction of an entire Calvinist New Testament department.

So profound was Jim's influence on my hermaneutic that, in addition to my family, I dedicated my dissertation to him. I had other professors who profoundly influenced me, but Jim deserved the credit.

I recall one week back in 1978, while Jim was visiting my wife and I in Illinois and preaching a revival for us, we found out that we were going to have our first child. As we took Jim back to the airport to fly back to Atlanta I made an over-the-shoulder remark that if we had a boy we were going to name him after Jim. Jim's middle name was Linwood. He asked us not to use that name, but if we did to remember it was Linwood "with an 'I' not a 'Y' and don't ask me WHY."

Jim had a subtle but interesting way of soothing the nervous heart when it came time for one of his Greek exams. He would let the class now "basically" what would be on the test, what to prepare for, and some things not to worry about. Then he was follow this up with the words: "Trust me" and laughed in this very mischievous way that became the hallmark for "Evans humor." Another word he was fond of using when pointing out some obscure or surprising exception to the rules of grammar was "noted?" Just that one word made the class laugh because if we didn't "note it" it would surely be on the next exam.

Five very important mentors in my life are now gone. There were many teachers and professors, but only five were mentors. James L. Evans now enters through the gates of heaven along with Olin W. Hay (my Preaching Professor - ACC); Philip E. Hughes (New Testament Professor - WTS); Robert Lowery (New Testament Professor - LCS); and James Strauss (Theology & Philosophy Professor - LCS). Unfortunately I have no others so dear. I am at a complete loss over this. But what is my loss is Jim's gain.

Jim leaves behind his wife Ellen, daughters Celeste and Lisa and son Eric and their families. Please pray for them and ask for God's comfort and peace.

Thank you Jim! I can truthfully say that if I weren't for you, I wouldn't be able to do what Paul required of Timothy when he said: ὀρθοτομοῦντα τὸν λόγον τῆς ἀληθείας.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much, James. Mom will be delighted to hear your kind words.

Unknown said...

John, you have done well, and you picked your memtors well. Thank you for sharing your memories, respect, and love for dad. We have enjoyed so much sharing Wye's blog and all the responses. Thank you for walking with us.