Pages

18 March 2013

Thinking before Posting



Unfortunately I didn’t have the opportunity to watch The History Channel’s The Bible last night. If Facebook is any indication, what I really missed was a rendering of Satan that supposedly looks like President Obama. It seems a stretch to me, but apparently not for lots of people.

Having heard several interviews of the people who are producing and directing this series, I can’t imagine that there was any intention on their part to make Satan look like President Obama; nor can I imagine that after viewing the final product it would have dawned on them that the character of Satan would be viewed as an Obama double. 

Those on the political left seem to be moving towards apoplexy – stunned by the insensitive work of the television crew who dared to let a character as vile as Satan look like the President.

Those on the political right seem compelled to post the picture and follow it up in the comment space with something like “Coincidence?” So rather than focusing on whatever part of the biblical narrative the series was portraying, it all of a sudden becomes some kind of nonsensical coincidence that the character looks so much like the President. I’m just waiting to hear that somehow the Holy Spirit caused that to happen.

When I reach the end of my journey here on earth and someone asks me, “Who was the best president in your lifetime?” I seriously doubt that I will say President Obama. I have issues with him, as I would with any president. Questions that that are political, economic, social, theological, and lots of other areas. 

But whatever objections I might have to the current president’s policies, I doubt that they are as strong as the objections people like Peter or Paul might have had with the Roman Emperor and his crews of henchmen. Listen to some of what they say:

Paul to Timothy, “First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for everyone, for kings and all who are in high positions, so that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and dignity. This is right and is acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires everyone to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.” I Timothy 2:1-4 (NRSV)

Paul to Titus, “Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show every courtesy to everyone.” Titus 3:1,2 (NRSV)

Peter to the whole church, “For the Lord’s sake accept the authority of every human institution, whether of the emperor as supreme, 14 or of governors, as sent by him to punish those who do wrong and to praise those who do right. 15 For it is God’s will that by doing right you should silence the ignorance of the foolish. 16 As servants of God, live as free people, yet do not use your freedom as a pretext for evil. 17 Honor everyone. Love the family of believers. Fear God. Honor the emperor.” 1 Peter 2:13-17 (NRSV)

Unless I’ve been wrong all my life in studying Scripture, I think they are speaking words that suggest believers respect rulers who were far worse than any ruler we’ve ever encountered. Oddly, Paul nor Peter puts in a little parenthetical comment to the effect that “coincidentally, don’t you think Nero looks like Satan?”)

I understand the frustration lots of believers have with President Obama. But he is the president. We Christians are doing ourselves no favors when we suggest he looks like Satan and that some character in a dramatization of the biblical story “coincidentally???? looks like the President, even though his role in the story is that of Satan.

Perhaps even more a point of frustration, people by the thousands seem to be looking for excuses to dismiss God and the story of Scripture. All those people need to do is look at some so-called Christian points of view on Facebook and they have all the excuse they need.

Maybe – and I know this is insane – but maybe if I want the President to listen to the Bible’s definition of marriage and its testimony about the sanctity of life, I should start by modeling the fact that I’m not beating him over the head with some of the Bible while ignoring the parts I don’t like.

As Michael Casey suggests in his wonderful little book, Sacred Reading, this “grazing” approach to reading Scripture is not of God.

No comments: