Pages

20 February 2013

Real in an Unreal World



It is the season of Lent, a time when believers of a wide variety of faith backgrounds determine to spend the forty days leading up to Easter  focused a bit more than usual on things spiritual. Obviously the idea of Lent is a human invention – in terms of where it comes from – but I find it difficult to think that spending 40 days with a renewed focus on my relationship to God can be anything but good! If I suggest that God was providentially involved in the shaping of our New Testaments – as I do in my college classroom every fall – then why can’t God be providentially involved in the lives of those who, in ancient times not that different from the process of canon, created some of these “man-made seasons” of the Christian calendar?

Of course I would never suggest not observing Lent, or other seasons of the Christian calendar, is a sin. Neither would I suggest that having church buildings, musical instruments in worship, paid ministry staff, Christian colleges, and a whole host of other “man-made” activities that we have determined can help advance the kingdom are sinful. I’m certainly not a church history expert. But I suspect that the connection between Orthodox and Catholic believers and Lent is roughly the same as the connection between buildings dedicated to the glory of God in which Christians meet to worship  and Orthodox and Catholic Christians. 

In one of the Lectionary texts for the second Sunday in Lent, Paul makes a very plain statement about what it means to be a believer. In Philippians 3:17-4:1, he describes the contrast between those he calls “enemies of the cross” and those to whom he is writing with bold language. None of it is more bold than the contrast between those whose “minds are set on earthly things” and those whose “citizenship is in heaven, and it is from there that we are expecting a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ.”

What could be more transformating in my life than spending these days leading up to Easter trying, with the help of God’s Spirit, to not be so focused on earthly things and to live my life as a citizen of heaven? What could happen among believers all over the world if somehow, by Easter Sunday, we were more focused on our real citizenship and not so focused on the earthly, not real in ultimate terms, things we are so easily caught up in?

I remember hearing the late Frank Harrington comment on how tired he became of people using as an excuse for less than their best by saying, “Preacher, you just don’t understand the real world, you work for the church.” Harrington said he always replied, “I am living in the only real world there is, you aren’t!” 

I think Paul might offer a hearty “Amen!” to that. But I think sometimes I’m prone to forget that the “real world” is God’s world where heaven and earth overlap, to use a phrase from N.T. Wright. That’s the world where Jesus taught us we can live out the Sermon on the Mount, the world where our prayer is that “God’s will be done on earth, as it is in heaven.” 

I understand that such an attitude should be my focus every day, not just the forty days of Lent. But I’m not sure spending 40 days especially focused can’t be a good thing! And one that could have long-term impact on my life. 

Right now I’m very focused on losing about 15 pounds. I’m counting calories, walking more than I have in quite a while, and avoiding red meat, saturated fats, potato chips, and all that other “good stuff” that is the reason I need to lose 15 pounds. I’m confident I can lose the weight – but keeping it off will depend on how adjusting my eating and exercise habits will continue once the 15 pounds are gone. 

What if I also allow Lent to be a period when I adjust the spiritual bad habits – “the earthly things” that are so often as attractive as a New York Strip Steak at Long Horn Steak House? Even more, what can happen if I allow the better spiritual habits I develop in these 40 days – “the citizenship is in heaven” things that truly are “the real world” – to continue after Easter?

No comments: