Pages

14 November 2012

We Stand Firm



Last Thursday morning, while sitting in the very simple home of a Chilean pastor and his family, who had graciously shown me hospitality despite the language barriers we faced, I learned something about faith that I hope sticks with me for a while.

It was a cold, rainy day, despite the fact that the southern hemisphere is currently moving from spring time in to the warm days of summer. The house, heated only by a wood heater, wasn’t what I would call “comfortably warm.” Sitting at the table with us was a young lady from the United States, who is living with this couple and their three children as she works with the native Chilean people group, the Mapuche. Rachel was her name and she was translating for us so that the conversation could work.

The day before, in some free time I had been taken to the base of one of the six volcanoes that surround Lautaro, Chile. The snowcapped volcanoes were amazing to look at. We saw a waterfall that was absolutely stunning. We also spent time, including lunch, with another Chilean pastor and his family, who serve a church and the Mapuche people right at the base of the volcano.

I asked my Chilean host if the volcano had erupted since they moved to Lautaro. She told me that it did about four years ago, and described all the normal concerns one would have with a natural phenomenon of that magnitude happening that nearby. 

I’m guessing she could see my eyebrows rising in wonder about all of that. She then told me about other events of nature that make life that far south in Chile. And then, not unlike Paul’s comment in 2 Corinthians 11:28, where, after a long list of hardships, he notes “there is the daily pressure on me of my anxiety for all the churches,” the pastor’s wife talked a while about the hardships of ministry in the place where they feel called to serve. 

It was about time to head to the class I was there to teach and she looked at me and said, “but we stand firm.” She didn’t have to tell me that – I could see it at every turn in her life and service and that of her husband.

As Paul again might say it, “Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.” (1 Corinthians 15:58, ESV) As I’m writing these words, I’m sitting in the home of ministry friends in Santiago, Chile – another family whose life and ministry, service and commitment, has blessed my life significantly. Their ministry in Chile has impacted hundreds of people into serving Christ – including my Lautaro hosts.

Tonight I fly home, returning to the family I love, the students at Point University I care deeply about, a nice home, reliable car, internet, satellite television, all kinds of places to go out and eat, and all the other stuff that I so often take for granted.

After watching my Lautaro hosts this week and visiting in some of the homes of Mapuchi followers of Christ and seeing the challenge of ministry in a difficult place – geography, culture, tradition, and a whole list of similar difficulties abound – I’m going to do my best not to complain that gasoline is still over $3 a gallon! I know some people who would love to be able to pay that for the old, worn-out car they use in serving Christ.

In my friends words, I want to “stand firm.”

No comments: