Pages

05 October 2011

Vision as Vehicle

A number of years ago I was one of the speakers at a retreat for ministers. I don’t remember what the theme of the retreat was but I, along with another person involved in education, spoke several times at this retreat. I do remember that the schedule was very relaxed – there was at least as much time to play as there was time to be in sessions.

One of the preachers there had a bit of a reputation as one who came to the retreat but attended no sessions. I remember hearing his explanation when one of his friends was getting on to him for sacking out during the sessions. He said, “I already know more than I’m doing.” My first thought was “I don’t think I would have said that!”

But I often think about that comment – what in the world would make a leader in the kingdom of God say such a thing? And he said it with a bit of pride – not the slightest hint of embarrassment.

At some level he seemed to be without any vision of advancing the kingdom. The congregation for which he preached wasn’t exactly noted as a dynamic church that was in constant discipleship making mode. So how does one get that sort of comfort level with “knowing more than you’re doing?”

But that rather confessional statement on his part may be true for congregations as well. Is it possible that one of the challenges of the local church is that collectively, the congregation knows much more about the Christian gospel than they are acting upon? If that could be true, then could it be true that there is a lack of vision?

Vision has to be the vehicle through which believers discover a way to put into action what they already know. Vision is not only what can motivate us to think “we ought to be advancing the kingdom” but it can be the vehicle through which we discover those opportunities.

One need only to read Luke’s accounts of Saul’s conversion in Acts 9, 22 or 26. The phrase that leaps off the page to me is found in Acts 9:20, “immediately he began to proclaim Jesus.” Saul’s vision of a risen Lord provided the vehicle through which he inaugurated what would be a life time of “proclaiming Jesus.”

I’m wondering if perhaps the reason leaders are so often frustrated with those they lead and followers are so frustrated with those who lead them isn’t simply a matter of limited vision. “You’ve taught us all this “stuff” about the kingdom of God,” yet sometimes we sit in waiting at opportunities to implement what we know.

What I know for certain about myself is that I never want to be the kind of person who says “I already know more than I do,” and at the same time, I don’t want to be the kind of leader who teaches more than he motivates others to implement.

Vision can be vehicle!

No comments: