Pages

16 July 2011

Becoming!

Today is another one of those days that I walk around wondering “Why do I get to do this?” The “this” I’m thinking about is hanging out on the campus of Point University (formerly Atlanta Christian College) with students – both returning students and new students – and watching them interact, register, serve, and even have a little fun while new freshmen register for classes in the fall.

One of my opportunities in this whole process is that I get to speak at the early Saturday morning devotion that begins the day we call Link. I always use the same text and have the same basic message – though it comes out in different forms, with different stories, and the like each time. My guess is that students who work with student development at Point University could repeat the sermon’s main point pretty well.

The text I use is the story Luke tells about the time Jesus was invited to lunch at the home of Simon the Pharisee – Sanctimonious Simon is what I call him. If you remember the story (Luke 7:36ff) an immoral woman comes into the dining room and has a life-changing encounter with Jesus. The primary message of that text – at least from my study of the story – is that Jesus is not all that interested in who we are (Simon, though is quite proud of who is is) but He is very interested in what we can become (which seems to be the immoral woman’s interest).

The whole Christian college thing can be a bit intimidating! That is especially true for new students who must come to events like our Link wondering if they will fit in, are they spiritual enough, is everyone there perfect, and all the other baggage that Christian colleges have allowed and sometimes perpetuate about themselves. I’m so grateful to be a part of a Christian college that takes Jesus to heart and is more concerned about what these young adults entrusted to us can become, rather than being overly focused on who they are!

Walking around what is a nearly all-day event, I am thrilled at the current students who are here helping out. Not too long ago they were new students, and I suspect wondering whether or not they would fit in. Now they are using their gifts and talents in welcoming new students to this community of believers determined to transform the world.

But I’m also thrilled at being surrounded by new students. You can tell by looking at them that this new experience of being a college student has created some questions, maybe a little stress. My guess is that at least some of them are wondering about whether or not they will fit in.

We have a few “Sanctimonious Simons” at Point University, but thanks be to God that they are the exception not the rule. But we have lots and lots of people – faculty, staff, administrators, and students – who aren’t so much living in the pride of who they are as they are excited about what God is doing on this campus and in their lives. It’s hard to believe that I get to be a part of all of that!

As I told new students and parents this morning – you don’t have to be perfect to enroll in Point University. And that’s a good thing, because if you did, there would be no one to teach you once enrolled! But we are intentional and unapologetic that Point University is all about “pointing the world to Christ.” As one of our billboards in the metro-Atlanta suggests, we want to “transform our culture for Christ.” Some of these students will end up doing that in vocational ministry, and for that I rejoice. Many of them will do that in a wide variety of occupations and with people that those in ministry have little opportunity to influence. For that, I will rejoice.

Having been involved in the life of this kingdom outpost for 35 years, I’ve never been more convinced that God is moving in the life of our school and that more than any of us can imagine or dream is about to happen.

Administrators have been, for some time now, working on a to-do list as we plan our move to West Point in July 2012. That list is massive, but I think, to borrow a little language from Luke in the book of Acts – it’s “multiplying.”

No comments: